|'STORM CLOUDS' of over-diagnosis and over-prescribing of psychotropic drugs for kids gather around the U.S. symbol of liberty - she asks:
"IS IT FREEDOM FOR CHILDREN OR CHEMICAL SLAVERY FOR LIFE!"
This is the saddest moment in my 45 year career of studying, practicing, and teaching psychiatry. The Board of Trustees of the American Psychiatric Association has given its final approval to a deeply flawed DSM 5 containing many changes that seem clearly unsafe and scientifically unsound. My best advice to clinicians, to the press, and to the general public - be skeptical and don't follow DSM 5 blindly down a road likely to lead to massive over-diagnosis and harmful over-medication. Just ignore the ten changes that make no sense.
- DSM 5 Will Medicalize Everyday Worries Into Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- The DSM 5 Field Trials, Part 2: Asking The Wrong Question Will Lead To Irrelevant Answers
- DSM-5 Continues To Ignore Critics
- DSM 5 has neither been able to self correct nor willing to heed the advice of outsiders. It has instead created a mostly closed shop- circling the wagons and deaf to the repeated and widespread warnings that it would lead to massive misdiagnosis. Fortunately, some of its most egregiously risky and unsupportable proposals were eventually dropped under great external pressure (most notably 'psychosis risk', mixed anxiety/depression, internet and sex addiction, rape as a mental disorder, 'hebephilia', cumbersome personality ratings, and sharply lowered thresholds for many existing disorders). But APA stubbornly refused to sponsor any independent review and has given final approval to the ten reckless and untested ideas that are summarized below.
10) DSM 5 has opened the gate even further to the already existing problem of misdiagnosis of PTSD in forensic settings.